Monday, September 27, 2010

The Trip and The Happiness Project

Portland was wonderful! We flew in on Saturday, the 4th, picked up our rental car and drove to our gorgeous hotel, The Benson. We parked the car in the garage next door and didn’t use it again until Wednesday. We walked all around downtown. Stocked up on organic and Made in the USA clothing at EcoVibe, Moule, … Ate plenty of delicious food at Mother’s, Pearl Bakery, Prasad, Bijou, Jake’s Famous Crawfish… Visited the Chinese Garden – someday I will replicate the stone paths in my garden! And got to see old friends! There were a ton of places we wanted to visit but couldn’t fit in. The plan is to eventually move to Portland, but there is a detour in the works that I may be able to tell you about soon.

All pics from Lan Su Chinese Garden

I’m currently reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. A lot of people have been talking about it lately and after enjoying Eat, Pray, Love while in Kenya I’ve realized that I like reading this type of book every now and then. I’ve never been interested in the scientific or psychological books to help me be happier, but reading about a person’s personal experience with finding themselves is interesting. I was trying to wait until it came out in paperback in November but, after a particularly frustrating day, I decided I couldn’t wait. I like these books because while reading them you know that the author’s path isn’t your own. Unlike other self-help books, they allow you to find your own way/plan your own project. And, I feel like I don’t have to be depressed to read them – I just want to be more happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment