Friday, September 3, 2010

Kenya bag and Kaffe

I think it was last August last year, I was on a bus heading back to my house in Malindi and the girl sitting next to me had a beautiful purse. She was really sweet and I asked her where she bought it. She said that she designed it and had them made for sale. She was headed to a costume design interview so she was able to show me pictures of dresses and other things she designs. I got her number and a month later ordered five bags. Unfortunately, as is common in Kenya, things don't always go the way you want. Things don't always get done in a timely manner and sometimes situations start to seem pretty fishy. The few days before I left in February I was desperately trying to figure out a way to get the bags but it just didn't work out.

So I decided to make my own! I made them bigger - more like a weekend bag, and used lots of bright fabrics - lots of Kaffe! I might change a few things if I make any more (I have enough fabric cut for 10!) but I'm very happy with the way this one turned out and it will be going to Portland with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment