Saturday, October 23, 2010

Bony-Legs and Baba Yaga

We’ve been organizing for a yard sale this weekend to sell Mom’s school supplies now that she’s retired. I’ve been going through my things too since I’ll need to have everything packed up to move (someday.) As I was looking through my old books I found Bony-Legs by Joanna Cole and was inspired to do some Halloween decorating.



I’m in love with Dirk Zimmer’s illustrations. The details are so creative! The bats and eyes on the cover, the flowery skull curtains, the potted mushroom and skull shutters, the skull and bones bathroom tile... just to name a few.

1 and 2: Make some creepy but beautiful curtains.
3: A kerchief for Bony-Legs.
4 and 5: Sprinkle some bony fish from Bony-Legs’ bathtub around the house and on your ears.
6: Make a licorice tree forest to trap the witch.
7: Hang this lovely skull flower print.
8: Gotta have some sweets on Halloween – chicken feet gummies!

The story is based on Baba Yaga a witch from Slavic folklore. Her house sits on chicken feet. An etsy search results in some exciting finds:



1. Baba Yaga's Hut by Maylar
2. Bony Legs by mamakopp
3. Baba Yaga's Hut Mosaic by BlackCatBazaar
4. baba yaga's chicken-legged hut by stellarbaby
5. Baba Yaga print by studiomme
6. Unique Baba Yaga Inspired Box by woodboxman

Sorry about the teensy images... I'm still trying to figure out the best way to upload my collages to blogger. If you have any tips please let me know.

Time to make some bat bunting and potted skull flowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment